Messageboard

You are not logged in.

#1 Thu 1st Sep 05 02:18

SteveG
Inquisitor

Hauppauge PVR-150 is Jumpy

I just bought and installed a WinTV PVR-150 after doing much research. I have to agree with many of you, the picture quality is very good. I do have one problem, and a search didn't help me... the picture freezes every once and a while, or "jumps".

I went to the Hauppauge site and downloaded all the latest drivers and software and installed it to see if that would fix it, and I installed the latest drivers for my video card. I can't believe that this could be my system not keeping up.

Here are my specifics:

Dell Dimension 8200 P4 2.8Ghz
Win 2K Pro SP4, all updates, NTFS file system
1GB RDRAM
7200RPM Discs (primary is 40GB, over 70% space free)
DMA enabled
400 watt power supply
UPS protected
64MB NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti200 video card
Santa Cruz Turtle Beach PCI sound card

Do you have any ideas? If I can't fix this, I'll most likely return the card and go old school and just bring a small TV in the office. I'd really like this to work though. And I don't know if this helps, but DVDs play fine, no jumpiness at all.

What could it be?

Thanks everyone.

#2 Thu 1st Sep 05 18:22

reboot
Guru

Re: Hauppauge PVR-150 is Jumpy

You say "disks". If you mean that you have multiple hard disks, use the disk that does NOT have the OS (Windows) on it for recordings.
Glitches like this are usually the result of Windows needing access to the disk at the same time as you're watching a show. Anti-virus scanners can also cause this. Disable their scanning on your recordings.
The other thing it may be, is the mpeg decoder you're using (via the software you're using to watch).
If possible, change it to something else and test again.

[color=purple]One can [i]never[/i] have enough tuners![/color]

XP Pro SP1 / Dual Core Athlon 64 4800@4800 / MSI K8N Neo Platinum/ 2 x PVR-500, PVR-250 / GB-PVR
Cheers, Jim

#3 Thu 1st Sep 05 18:48

SteveG
Inquisitor

Thanks.

I probably wasn't clear though, I'm not talking about recordings jumping. This is happening just when watching live TV. I'm using the software from Hauppauge. I assume your talking about the "video decoder" software I installed from them?

What other would you recommend as something to try?

Thanks again.

#4 Thu 1st Sep 05 18:50

4Aces
Guru

1. How old are the hard drives?
2. Though only 70% full how long since you've defragged either drive or both?
3. Have any bad sectors appeared via disk dr or scan disk?
4. Other than dvd's have you noticed issues in any other apps?
5. How well does the video card handle games lately?
6. What player are you using to play back the recorded video?

DVD playback and mpeg2 file playback won't act the same, different formats, different source drive and type of drive. I also even though it's a hardware encoder not to use the computer if I don't have to while it's recording. How fast are these drives 7200 or 5400?

#5 Thu 1st Sep 05 18:56

SteveG
Inquisitor

Thanks 4aces. I'll answer your questions below:

1. How old are the hard drives?
The C drive is about 4 years ago. The D drive (80GB) is only 6 months old.

2. Though only 70% full how long since you've defragged either drive or both?
The C drive is 70% FREE, only 30% full. It was just defragged about a week ago with a check disk performed at boot. No errors.

3. Have any bad sectors appeared via disk dr or scan disk?
Nope

4. Other than dvd's have you noticed issues in any other apps?
Nope, everything is fine, only the WinTV card does this.

5. How well does the video card handle games lately?
I'm not a gamer, so I can't say.

6. What player are you using to play back the recorded video?
Again, this issue isn't when watching a recording, but rather live TV. I do however use CyberLink PowerDVD for movies though.

Thanks.

#6 Thu 1st Sep 05 21:48

Herbs

If your watching tv with the wintv software I believe you can change video rendering to overlay this may help as your graphics card is rather old , your card should support this without any problem infact it should support vmr 7 but it may be causing your problem.

This driver supports better video quality on some VGA cards by using "VMR". To turn this on, click

Windows Start / Programs / Hauppauge WinTV / Primary and then select "Allow VMR".

If your VGA card does not support VMR, then chose "Allow Overlay".

Nebula DVB-T |tevion dvb-t100|WinTV USB2 PVR|Nova-t technotrend|nova-t usb2|nova-t 90002| nova-t stick

#7 Thu 1st Sep 05 23:14

SteveG
Inquisitor

I believe VMR is only in WinXP. Is that right?

Thanks

#8 Fri 2nd Sep 05 08:08

Herbs

No you can use overlay in win xp, I believe its windows MCE mytv requires vmr but don't quote me on that.

Nebula DVB-T |tevion dvb-t100|WinTV USB2 PVR|Nova-t technotrend|nova-t usb2|nova-t 90002| nova-t stick

#9 Fri 2nd Sep 05 15:07

reboot
Guru

Thanks.

I probably wasn't clear though, I'm not talking about recordings jumping. This is happening just when watching live TV. I'm using the software from Hauppauge. I assume your talking about the "video decoder" software I installed from them?

What other would you recommend as something to try?

Thanks again.

Even when watching "live" TV, it's actually timeshifted 500ms (half a second) using the hard drive as the buffer.
This can cause the jerkiness.

Yes, I was talking about the Intervideo non-css decoder, aka "Intervideo filter SDK for Hauppauge".
Try the update from the hauppauge site.
Try using some different software (such as GBPVR) so you can select VMR9 or Overlay to playback, and see if it may be video drivers causing part of the problem.

[color=purple]One can [i]never[/i] have enough tuners![/color]

XP Pro SP1 / Dual Core Athlon 64 4800@4800 / MSI K8N Neo Platinum/ 2 x PVR-500, PVR-250 / GB-PVR
Cheers, Jim

Board footer