Messageboard

You are not logged in.

#1 Sun 15th Feb 04 17:21

TheChip

Terratec Cinergy 600

I recently bought a Terratec Cinergy 600 tv card to capture SVHS videos. Unfortunately I'm not able to capture videos with 25 frames per second using higher resolutions than 320x240. With 720x576 I only get around 12fps. The problem: Even if I'm not capturing I just get around 12fps while watching a video in 720x576.
Some specs of my system:
-P4 2,4GHz
-2x512MB RAM (DDR-333, Samsung)
-ASUS P4S8X Mainboard
-HD: 80GB Western Digital WD800JB
-Hercules Radeon 9700 Pro
-SB Audigy 2 ZS
-Windows XP Pro

I absolutely need to capture in 720x576 with 25fps. I allready tried a lot of different capture programs.
The components of my system shouldn't be a problem. Even while capturing in 720x576 my CPU usage is just around 30%.
Is there anyone who owns a Terratec Cinergy 600 and is able to help me? Or is the card simply not capable of producing video in 720x576 with 25fps?

Flo

#2 Tue 3rd Aug 04 03:09

nix_2003

Re: Terratec Cinergy 600

Hello, i am quite new here, but i have Terratec 600 too. It gives me some trooubles (shatter & flickers sometimes). Capturing & recording, i make  with Dr.DivX (AVI_divx coded). To make VCD, SVCD and DVD it works fine with InterVideo WinDVR 3 (Included with Terratec-own software). Good luck!
Mike  8)

#3 Tue 3rd Aug 04 05:11

Game Cat

TheChip, how do you know that you're getting 12 fps, and what do you mean by that? Are you saying that the video is coming into your system very slowly?

The Game Cat
[i]Currently trapped in the Hell of Mounting Work Deadlines and Neverending Computer Upgrades... replies may take a few days.[/i]

#4 Tue 3rd Aug 04 19:18

gresley
Inquisitor

Or is the card simply not capable of producing video in 720x576 with 25fps?

The card is based on the Philips Proteus design which uses their SAA7134 chip and is capable of 720x576 with 25fps.

In your PC specs is only one HD listed. Is your HD busy all the time during recording?. Then your HD maybe to slow to record 25fps. For MPEG2 you should use 1 dedicated HD only for recording.

Your current HD will get slower when its get more data on it and the Windows XP OS needs to read en write on it during MPEg2 recording and at that time is not able to record.

#5 Mon 16th Aug 04 18:04

Mike8
Inquisitor

Or is the card simply not capable of producing video in 720x576 with 25fps?

The card is based on the Philips Proteus design which uses their SAA7134 chip and is capable of 720x576 with 25fps.  In your PC specs is only one HD listed. Is your HD busy all the time during recording?. Then your HD maybe to slow to record 25fps. For MPEG2 you should use 1 dedicated HD only for recording. Your current HD will get slower when its get more data on it and the Windows XP OS needs to read en write on it during MPEg2 recording and at that time is not able to record.

Hi everyone,

I have both AIW9600PRO and Hercules AIW 9800SE.

I was very disappointed with quality of 2D filter when I've compared the same with Matrox in case of AIW9600.  With Hercules 2D is visibly superior then 9600 but still not quite as vibrant and smooth as on Matrox.

That is why I decided to go back to Matrox (Parhelia or P750) and include this Cinergy 600.

I hear it has finest available (consumer) Philips decoder chip and is offering best picture possible? (for TV tuner cards)

But Terratrec for some reason offers no information about supported capturing resolution?

Can C600 deliver same resolution for capture as AIW?

All in all is it stable?

How well is working associated recording software?

Much obliged.

#6 Mon 16th Aug 04 18:52

gresley
Inquisitor

I have owned a Matrox P450 card and found that it hat problems with displaying live video. A Nvidea card solved the problem.

Most of your questions are answert in the above posts. I don't have a AIW card so i cannot compare their specs. The Philips chip does also NTSC. The Terratec software has limited the audio freq range to 32 khz. Even with a third party codec, this result in A/V sync problems when editing. Capturing with 48khz solves this problem but is not possible with terratec's own software. So use WinDVR3.

#7 Mon 16th Aug 04 21:24

Mike8
Inquisitor

I have owned a Matrox P450 card and found that it hat problems with displaying live video. A Nvidea card solved the problem.

Most of your questions are answert in the above posts. I don't have a AIW card so i cannot compare their specs. The Philips chip does also NTSC. The Terratec software has limited the audio freq range to 32 khz. Even with a third party codec, this result in A/V sync problems when editing. Capturing with 48khz solves this problem but is not possible with terratec's own software. So use WinDVR3.

Thanks for that note about present audio deficiencies.

I gather since I'm in no hurry might this be worth waiting so one might get all things sorted in say...C800?

Also, does C600 like AIW has J8 internal Aux-I/O so I could use that for sound to SB like I do with AIW?

#8 Tue 17th Aug 04 15:47

gresley
Inquisitor

The Terratec 600 does not have a external audio out connector.

The "Compro Videomate TV gold +" does have it and is able to wakeup and shutdown your computer.

The Terratec and Compro card and al lot of other brands are al based on a design by Philips Electronics with thier SAA7134 chip, the Philips Proteus card. The design of the card, drivers and even files for production are supplied by Philips. The branding-company stores their name and vendor id in the EEprom which is on the card.

Each brand supplies thier own based TV/Pvr software and that's what makes the differences.  The hardware design has been updated but some brands still use the older design.

So you don't have to wait for Terratec. The Compro card has the latest hardware design and drivers.  Thier own PVR software works perfect and i get superb picture qaulity with WinDVR3. It has also audio out with cables supplied to connect to your soundcard.

#9 Tue 17th Aug 04 23:16

Mike8
Inquisitor

The Terratec 600 does not have a external audio out connector. The "Compro Videomate TV gold +" does have it and is able to wakeup and shutdown your computer. The Terratec and Compro card and al lot of other brands are al based on a design by Philips Electronics with thier SAA7134 chip, the Philips Proteus card. The design of the card, drivers and even files for production are out with cables supplied to connect to your soundcard.

Well I can tell you for fact that neither AIW9600 or AIW9800 are using  SAA7134.Naturally, that later offer from other brands would employ in many product the same.

But this Cin600 was one of first offered in my country with SAA7134.

Except Leadtek and perhaps a dozen of no name cards this is pretty much it available here.

AIW always suggested finest picture but compared to C600 this is simply not the case. Difference of C600 is very profound and very concrete in registration of colors and strength of signal compared to AIW.

#10 Wed 18th Aug 04 07:38

gresley
Inquisitor

I have pre-owend the Terratec but due to the audio-sync problem i brought it back to the store. I than purchased the Compro card via an internet shop. Because it is build on the same hardware (even better)!

Board footer