Messageboard

You are not logged in.

#1 Mon 27th Jun 05 15:14

fieldyweb

GadMei USB TV Box

i wasn't sure if i would use a TV card, (I live in thailand, and the TV here sucks) however i bought this Gadmei box, and it works under Windows with its nic Windows driver, linux howerver appears to be a bit of a stopping point...

Now how do i find out what chipset it has on it? the instructions are all in chinese!!! the manufactures don't get back, and the local shop owners look at me strange when i say Linux!!

I'm running fedora Core 3, and have got most other stuff sorted out, if i can sort out this and my webcam, its bye bye windows XP forever!!!

#2 Wed 29th Jun 05 11:29

juski1
Guru

Re: GadMei USB TV Box

Don't hold your breath about Linux supporting USB TV gear like yours.  There are some drivers for common makes like Hauppauge but not GadMei as far as I'm aware.

My PVR: Athlon2Ghz, 512MB RAM running Ubuntu Dapper 1.5TB HDD.  3 Leadtek LR6650, 100mbit LAN etc.  Diskless frontend machine based on Core 2 Duo mobile 1.83 [b]no support via PMs[/b] ;-)

#3 Wed 29th Jun 05 14:57

fieldyweb

I sort of guessed that was the case, so what is a recommended low cost TV tuner card and software for Linux?

#4 Fri 1st Jul 05 03:42

Game Cat

Well, it's internal PCI tuners you want, there's a growing number supported. Any of the older Brooktree BTx8x based tuners will work fine. I'm not up on the current state of Linux PCI tuner support. You're just begging for disappointment if you try getting just any analog tuner working on Linux. People are having luck with Hauppauge's WinTV USB2 tuners. AverMedia's USB 2.0 DVB-T works under Linux if you're looking for a digital tuner.

The Game Cat
[i]Currently trapped in the Hell of Mounting Work Deadlines and Neverending Computer Upgrades... replies may take a few days.[/i]

#5 Fri 29th Jul 05 19:47

helpme

please help i have just recieved a gadmei 3488e off ebay it is missing its manual and cd rom driver-came from hong kong does any one know where ican download them please help it would be much appreciated

#6 Sun 31st Jul 05 01:01

juski1
Guru

Erm... 'helpme'... I think you should contact the Ebay seller and ask them to help.

My PVR: Athlon2Ghz, 512MB RAM running Ubuntu Dapper 1.5TB HDD.  3 Leadtek LR6650, 100mbit LAN etc.  Diskless frontend machine based on Core 2 Duo mobile 1.83 [b]no support via PMs[/b] ;-)

#7 Sun 31st Jul 05 01:04

juski1
Guru

Well, it's internal PCI tuners you want, there's a growing number supported. Any of the older Brooktree BTx8x based tuners will work fine. I'm not up on the current state of Linux PCI tuner support. You're just begging for disappointment if you try getting just any analog tuner working on Linux. People are having luck with Hauppauge's WinTV USB2 tuners. AverMedia's USB 2.0 DVB-T works under Linux if you're looking for a digital tuner.

Well folks, now we have a mostly stable PVR150 driver for Linux.

There's still not much sign of any drivers for many of the low-cost hardware encoding (i.e. non-Hauppauge) cards....

Your best bet is to look at a bunch of cards in DETAIL and find out what chipset they use.  Infact, just by searching on the card model and LINUX in google you can find out if there are any snags or other issues.

In short - do your homework before you buy!

But then if more people did that, this forum wouldn't be what it is today wink

#8 Thu 10th Apr 08 12:01

Snow123
Website

'm not up on the current state of Linux PCI tuner support. You're just begging for disappointment if you try getting just any analog tuner working on Linux.

Board footer